Biodiveristy hotspot illustrations for Erasmus project

 I don't know how to start this post, because still is so with vibrant eaven if I finished illustrations in August 2023. 

Couple days ago for exhibition where people could see couple of illustration in real life and speak with me there, in Centro Cultural e de Investigação do Funchal














I am still melting in the emotions that accompanied me from the moment of the competition (to be able to take part in this project you had to take part in the competition and write a few words about yourself) through creating illustrations and ending with the exhibition where I could see people live who created this beautiful story!











Maybe the best form of posting here will be to share my conclusion which I was asked about by the person who made this initiative possible at all:


"Hello Almudena!

Thanks for asking me about my reflections.

It is true that half a year has passed since I submitted the last illustration and I am no longer able to "recreate" all the moments that inspired me to create each illustration, but I have these general reflections.

First of all, when I created the faces of, for example, monkeys, I realized how similar we were to each other.
When I was illustrating the turtle, I remembered the moment when I saw in real life how turtles can have their own different temperament... And apparently they are just reptiles....
Whenever I read and tried to understand the dangers of each hotspot, I see an analogy in every smaller "backyard" that surrounds me where I live or where I come from - lack of respect for other people and, consequently, for the micro world. that surrounds us.
I worked largely in layers. I drew and painted individual elements and then created specific compositions from them on the computer. This type of work allowed me to look at details - eyes, nose and claws. How much alike we are...
So while creating the illustrations, I realized how important it is to educate the next generations in my own backyard. For example, as the mother of a 5-year-old, I feel obliged to sensitize her to the beauty of nature, to respect other people and at the same time to set boundaries for others. When we take care of our needs, they are not pushed to the subconscious, we will not madly destroy what surrounds us.

While working on the very concept of a particular illustration, I did not follow the rules or proportions, sometimes I wanted to make something visible - I presented it on a larger scale. I tried to show a very significant element in each project, either how you can help in a given hot-spot or what its greatest threat is.

I have been living in Madeira for over three years. Most of the landscapes or animals I have illustrated are, to some extent, a variation of what I see or have seen on a daily basis.
I love hiking in the forest, mountains and swimming with fish in the water. Then I feel connected to this world. Despite the differences that everyone has, be it a bird or another animal - we are all subject to the same laws. I want to still remember this, this closeness that is in each of us. So I feel grateful that I could participate in such an interesting project!

Best regards and I am looking forward to the publication of our joint work!"


LINKS:

https://www.rtp.pt/play/p12745/e745327/casa-das-artes-2024

https://biodiversity-illustrated.eu/book/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10sIZuGwxiu9cCMMcWjOnxslcl_7o3erj/view

https://www.jm-madeira.pt/cultura/livro-e-exposicao-alertam-para-especies-em-risco-de-extincao-tambem-na-madeira-FD15348638?fbclid=IwAR2BVvILa_P_Xxz-Wc9T0UhtCP7-WPa-Rh99HZH6qnE8GZgrKeVQPecIKhE

Comments

Popular Posts